After my success with K4015 view A, a quilted jacket here I though I would give view B a try.
The back of View B is longer than front, is lined with contrast fabric, has patch pockets, hood with drawstring in casing and snap closures.
The showerproof fabric is called April showers and the lining is Oxford shirting fabric both from Fabworks Online.
I decided cut the back the same length as the front, as I was unsure I would like the back being longer than the front.
I found the buttons in my button tin, I think they were originally off a cardigan, and the large press studs I found in my mums sewing bits which I have inherited. I used the eyelets that came with my Prym pliers and then discovered that cord for the hood was too thick for the eyelets! eBay to the rescue, and a long trainer shoelace was ordered and it worked well.
The reluctant photographer was persuaded to take a few photos.
Just need some warmer weather now so I can wear it!
Kwik Sew 4015 is one of those patterns with terrible photos, you really have to look at the line drawing and look past the front of the envelope and use your imagination.
Jackets have long sleeves. A: Stand-up collar, button closures and purchased bias binding.
Double sided quilted fabric is recommend for this jacket, but I couldn’t find any so I settled for 1 sided cotton quilted fabric from Minevra and added a lining from my stash
I originally cut out a large, but it was far too big, so I unpicked it and cut it down to a medium, I always seem to think I am bigger than I am.
I cut out the lining using the same pattern pieces as the jacket except for the collar which is constructed from two pieces of quilted fabric.
There are pockets in the side seams but they seamed to be too far back to be comfortable, so I added patch pockets to the front and I am so glad I did.
I finished the jacket with ready made bias binding, 15mm anorak press fasteners, instead of buttons I treated myself to a Prym Vario pliers kit, although I had difficulty getting the fasteners into the fabric, I had to enlist my husband to use a bit of brut force.
I am really pleased with the fit and have worn it a lot with jeans, with skirts to work and here with an unblogged Molly dress.
I had a yen for a causal summer jacket, something I could wear with jeans or a summer dress
I found this pattern in a book I have, the pattern is downloaded from the books website, all 61 pages of it!
Step 14 caused me some grief but eventually I managed to get it stitched together.
Originally the fabric was purchased to make a shirtdress, its Brushed Cotton from Fabworks Online.
The lining is left over from a yet to be blogged about Edith blouse and the sleeves with left over polyester lining.
The button is from my tin of old vintage buttons !
The only thing I am not happy about is that the lining of the pockets show slightly around the edges.
In other news I was lucky enough to go to a Liberty Remnant sale a couple of weeks ago at Alice Caroline’s Studio, a barn in the hamlet of Conderton on the edge of the Cotswolds, so very close to home.
With the weather warming up, my thoughts are turning to sewing for my spring/summer wardrobe. I wanted to use two fabrics that I bought from John Lewis last autumn, a navy chambray and this cotton lawn which John Lewis have called Blotchy floral……..surely they could have thought of something a little more charming!
The jacket is New Look 6028 and a blatant copy of an ideal by fellow blogger Camilla over at Making and Marking, to turn back the sleeves to reveal the lining.
I decided not to line the sleeves completely with the cotton lawn, mainly because I wanted to keep back enough fabric to make a little shell top.
My son has just given me The Great British Sewing Bee Fashion with Fabric book for a Mothers Day present so I am about to up my feet up and enjoy a good read!
The Little French jacket is not really a French jacket at all, if you have made a French Chanel style jacket or read the many blogs about making one you will know that there is a lot of work involved, many hours, tailoring and quilting not to mention the chain in the bottom. This a much easier option with just a hint of the Chanel style jacket.
I used New Look 6028, this is a very easy jacket to make, the fabric was half price from John Lewis and a nice spotty lining sourced from the internet. The fabric frayed like mad, as I don’t have an overlocker, but I used the overedge foot on my Janome to secure the seam edges.
If you have never made a lined jacket I can recommend this pattern. Its a nice little jacket to wear with jeans or a little back skirt.