I always seem to be lagging behind and this a catch up post from last year, If I made New Year resolutions I would probably be posting about them in March!!
I had never used any Sew Over it patterns until Christmas 2016 when part of my Stitching Santa gift from Corrine (who blogs at Applebymakes) was the Molly pattern and enough fabric to make the top version, which I had sewn up before the new year!
followed by another…………..
followed by a dress version, I think I may cut this one off to a top length as it will get more wear as a top than a dress.
In the summer I found a free download for Erin Skirt from Simply Sewing, issue 22. I didn’t have the magazine so no instructions, but its a very simple and self explanatory pattern I have made it twice now.
PENTAX DIGITAL CAMERA
PENTAX DIGITAL CAMERA
I joined the PDF club and bought a couple of patterns (still to be made). When the 1940’s Wrap Dress was released it was just what I was looking for, a wrap dress for a woven fabric.
I bought 3 metres of Prussian Blue polka dot crepe fabric from Adam Ross fabrics with a discount code from a sewing magazine and free postage 3 metres was just under £20 bargain!!
I cut a size 14 with out any alterations or making a muslin/toile which is always a bit of risk but it fits very well.
I love this dress and have worn it quite a lot over Christmas, but don’t have any photos as I never think about taking any when I am out enjoying myself.
I completely understand why SOI patterns are so popular in the sewing world, I don’t know what took me so long to try one! Are you a SOI fan?
When I read that Simple Sew had released the Amelia Tea Dress pattern, it reminded me with all that happened since the wedding, that I hadn’t blogged about the Amelia dress I made to wear to my son’s wedding , the Amelia dress was a free pattern with Love Sewing way back in issue 28.
After I finished and handed over the wedding dress I only had a couple of weeks to make my own outfit. I started looking around for a suitable dress pattern suitable for small and informal wedding following by a plough man’s picnic in a 16th century Ale House, very much a homemade handcrafted wedding. So a formal two piece and a large hat would be a bit over the top. I wanted a Tea Dress and luckily I had just the pattern.
I made up a muslin with some fabric from my stash and cut out a size 14 straight from the envelope, the fit was pretty good and the only change I made to go down a size on the shoulders and neckline.
Then the question of what fabric to use, well if you follow my blog you will now I love a bit Liberty Tana Lawn, perfect for a Tea Dress. I wanted to wear Navy shoes and the theme of the wedding was books and the colour red.
I searched the internet and found it on e-bay 2.2 meters of Liberty Tana Lawn Kayleigh Sunshine.
The instructions on Simple Sew patterns can be a bit sparse and though I don’t really mind too much I do wish when the seam allowance changes it is mentioned on the instructions and not just on the paper pattern because if you don’t use a 1cm seam allowance at this point the front won’t align with the back of the dress.
As the weather is always unpredictable in this country I made a navy jacket from another Sew Simple pattern and again another free pattern from Love Sewing magazine .
I used 1m of navy triple crepe from Minerva Crafts. This was not my best sewing, the crepe seemed to stretch as I manipulated it, this is an unlined jacket but I always prefer a lined one so I cobbled together a lining at the last minute with lining fabric and bias binding (the binding was part my Stitching Santa gift last year from Corinne who blogs at Applebymakes@wordpress.com –#Stitching Santa thanks Corinne)
I just couldn’t decide if i was too old to wear a dungaree style pinafore dress, but in the end I just had to have a go, but I didn’t want to spend any money on an expensive pattern, so after some googling around the internet I discovered that Sew Now had a pattern from a past issue that could be download as PDF pattern.
Of course the downside of this is that I didn’t have the magazine, so no instructions.
The fabric is a very nice pincord from John Lewis, but it attracts every bit of fluff, dust and white cat hair that’s in the house.
It turned out a bit on the large size and I had to take in the side seams. If I make it again I would alter the pattern to make bib smaller as I am quite short waisted and so it’s a bit long and tends to be a bit baggy when I am sat at my desk.
Overall I am really pleased with the dress and I love the pockets!
How does time pass so quickly, I thought it was a while since I blogged but over 2 months …… but I have been sewing.
I bought a few second hand, not really old enough to be called vintage, patterns in a charity shop while on holiday in the Isle of Wight last year and this is one of them,
I also bought this fabric in a small fabric shop in the town of Ryde, on on the Isle of Wight to make it with. Its a crepe de chine at £3 a metre.
I made view A. The pattern envelope describes this a a 2 hour dress, and yes it could have been if I hadn’t had so much trouble trying to sew the bodice to the skirt, where skirt goes to a point. It languished in the corner of my sewing room (where I threw it) for a few weeks. Until I picked up and tried again. I will make it again in a smaller size and in a nice cotton.